When I first started trying vegan dishes, I found myself not finding much to appease my inner carnivore. I came across the idea of using TVP as a meat substitute one day, and it soon became a game-changer. Tweaking the sloppy joe recipe I've used in the past (one that called for ground beef), I was soon able to find a 100% vegan recipe that I enjoyed far more than the meat-ridden one I had grown up on.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ dry mustard
- 1¼ cup TVP
- 1½ cup water
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- soft hamburger buns
- In a medium saucepan, saute the bell pepper and onion in the olive oil until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the chili powder, garlic, and dry mustard.
- Add the TVP, water, ketchup, and soy sauce. Stir the mixture well.
- Cover the saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat (medium-low) and simmer it for 20 minutes (keep it covered).
- Remove the lid and simmer the mixture for 5 mores minutes, stirring frequently until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Season the mixture with salt and epper to taste.
- Server hot on toasted buns.